What is C++?
C++ is a general purpose programming language developed by Bjarne Stroustrup in 1979. It was created as an extension to the C programming language and was initially called "C with classes".
C++ is a middle-level programming language. It has features of both high and low level programming languages.
Why Learn C++?
If anyone wants to learn to program, the C++ programming language can be a great choice. Let us look at the reason why anyone should learn C++:
- C++ teaches you the concept of object-oriented programming.
- C++ is close to the hardware. It lets you manage your program's memory, resulting in efficient and robust software development.
- C++ is used to develop browsers, games, and even operating systems.
- C++ teaches you about different data types, the scope of variables, the difference between a compiler, linker, and loader, and much more.
This C++ tutorial provides C++ programs and their Explanation along with a C++ compiler, allowing you to easily modify the code:
Applications of C++ Programming
C++ is being used in various popular fields like:
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac OS and Linux, are all developed in C++. C++ is the backbone of many operating systems because it is fast, reliable, and efficient.
- Databases: Postgres and MySQL are written in C++ and C. These databases are two of the most widely used databases across the world.
- Cloud Storage Systems: C++ is used to develop cloud storage systems because is it very close to the hardware and is compatible with many machines.
- Programming Libraries: C++ is used to develop many high level libraries like TensorFlow because of its high speed.
- Browsers: The rendering engine of many browsers is written in C++ because of its speed and low latency.
Object-Oriented Programming (OOPs)
Object-oriented programming is an approach to programming that allows us to create classes and objects in our code. The main reason why C++ was created over C was to introduce object-oriented programming.
The four major concepts of object-oriented programming used in C++ are:
C++ Standard Libraries
The standard C++ library is composed of:
- The core library - It includes variables, data types, etc.
- The Standard Library - It includes functions, manipulating strings, files, etc.
- The Standard Template Library (STL) - It includes methods to manipulate a data structure.
Usage of C++
We can use C++ programs to develop various applications like:
- Client-Server applications
- Windows applications
- Embedded firmware
The only prerequisite to learning C++ is the basic functionality of computer programs.
By following this C++ tutorial, you will gain a solid understanding of the language and be able to progress to more advanced topics. This tutorial is intended for software programmers who want to learn the C++ programming language from the very beginning. It provides enough knowledge to serve as a foundation for building a higher level of expertise in C++ programming.
What will you Learn in This C++ Tutorial?
In this C++ tutorial, we will learn:
- History of C++
- C++ features
- Variables and data types in C++
- C++ operators
- Control statements in C++
- Functions in C++
- C++ pointers
- C++ arrays
- Object-oriented programming
- Namespaces in C++
- C++ templates
- Exception handling in C++
- Standard Library in C++